Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Level 1 - Academic Translation

There are several kinds of translation; the first, intended only to demonstrate that a person knows a language and to help a translator grasp the original more fully is academic, often (misleadingly) called "literal" translation. This is only a tool and tends to be misleading due to the fact that it gives the illusion of closeness between the words of the two languages. In reality, languages are not designed to be translated and it is miraculous that translation can take place at all, even more amazing when it is both understandable and analogous in form.

(If TANK wakes up, I'll just post what I have)

Psalm 27

לְדָוִד: יְהוָה אוֹרִי וְיִשְׁעִי--מִמִּי אִירָא

1. In reference to David

Adonai is my light and my rescue/ salvation, from whom will I fear?
יְהוָה מָעוֹז-חַיַּי, מִמִּי אֶפְחָד
Adoni is a place of protection of my life, from whom shall I be in dread?


בִּקְרֹב עָלַי, מְרֵעִים-- לֶאֱכֹל אֶת-בְּשָׂרִי:
2. To approach upon me, evil ones, to eat my flesh,

צָרַי וְאֹיְבַי לִי; הֵמָּה כָשְׁלוּ וְנָפָלוּ
My enemy and the one who hates me, look as they stumble and fall.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home