Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Partial Gospel Reading

Matt26:14-55
14 Then one of The Twelve , named Judah Iscariot, went to the chief priests. 15 He said, “What are you willing to give me so that I will hand him over to you? So they presented thirty pieces of silver 16 and from that point on he looked for the perfect time to hand him over.

17 On the first day of unleavened bread, his students came to Jesus to say, “Where do you want us to set up to eat the Passover?”

16 He answered: You need to go into The City the person you know and tell him, “The teacher says: ‘My time is almost here, I will take the Passover for my students with you.’” 19 So his students did as Jesus instructed them, and they set up the Passover.

20 When evening came, he sat down to eat with the Twelve and 21 while they ate he said, “Pay attention to what I am about to say: one of you will hand me over.” 22 So they were very upset and each of them began to ask him, “It isn’t me . . . is it Lord?

23 He answered, “The person who dipped his hand in the bowl with me is the one who will hand me over. 24 So, the Son of Man will depart, just as it is written about him, ‘woe to that man because of whom the Son of Man is handed over; it would be better for him had he never been born.

25 So Judah , his betrayer, asked him, “It isn’t me . . . is it, Rabbi?” He replied, “it is.”

26 While they were eating, Jesus took the bread, blessed it, and then broke it and gave it to his students. He said, “You must take this and eat it, this is my body.” 27 Then he took the cup and gave it to them while giving thanks, saying, “Everyone drink from this, because 28 this is my blood which is the covenant that is shed for the forgiveness of the sins of many. 29 This is important: I will never again drink from this, the fruit of the vine, again until that day when I may drink this wine with you in a new way in my father’s kingdom.” 30 So, they sang the hymn and went out to the Mount of Olives.

31 Then Jesus told them, “All of you will desert me on this night, for it is written: ‘Strike down the shepherd and that shepherds sheep will be scattered.’ 32 So, after my resurrection, proceed me to Galilee.”

33 So Peter told him, “Even if everyone deserts you, I will not desert you.” 34 Then Jesus told him, “What I am saying is true, before the rooster crows tonight, you will disown me three times. 35 Peter replied, “Even if I have to follow you to death, I will not disown you.” All his students said the same types of things.

36 Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane and he asked his students, “sit here until I leave the place where I am praying.” 37 Then he took Peter and the two Sons of Zebedee; he began to be sad and distressed. 38 Then he told them, “My soul is distressed to the point of death: wait in this place and keep watch with me.

39 So he went a short distance away and fell on his face, and prayed, “My fathers, if it is possible, take this cup away from me; except not as I want it to be, but as you do.”

40 Then he went back to his students and found them sleeping so he told Peter, “How is it that you cannot keep watch with me for an hour? 41 You must watch and pray so that you will not enter into temptation: Your spirit is eager but your flesh is weak. 42 He went away and prayed a second time, “My father, if you are not able to take it away unless I drink it, make it as you wish it to be.

43 Then he came back again and found them sleeping, since their eyes were heavy. 44 Then he left them again and went and prayed the same thing again, a third time. 45 Then he came back to his students, “Keep on resting, sleep the rest of the night away: See, the time when the Son of Man is handed over into the hands of evil people is almost here. 46 We must get up! The person who informed on me is almost here.

47 Then, while he was still speaking, Judas, one of The Twelve, came and with him came a large crowd from the Chief Priests and Elders of The People, with swords and clubs. 48 Then his informer gave them the signal, the person whom I kiss is the one you must arrest. 49 Then, right away, Judah crossed over to Jesus and said, “Hello, Rabbi.” and kissed him. 50 Jesus told him, “Do what you are ready to do.” Then they came and laid their hands on Jesus and arrested him and 51--one of those with Jesus whipped out his sword and took a swing at the servant of the High Priest, cutting off his ear. 52 Then Jesus told him, “Put your sword back where you keep it, because everyone who takes the sword will die by the sword. 53 Don’t you think that I could call to my father and he would send me twelve legions of angels right away? 54 How would the scriptures, which say this must happen, be fulfilled then?

55 That was when Jesus told the crowd, “Are you coming after a thief, with swords and clubs, to arrest me? When it was daylight in the temple, sitting and teaching, you did not arrest me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home